PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Walt? and a Chief Constable at that!
Old 29th Sep 2023, 15:24
NutLoose

Received 2,942 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordon Brown
Out of curiosity I wonder what constitutes a near relative. My grandfather died at Arnhem in 1944. I wore his miniatures on my right breast during the VE Day commemorations in 2020 and would like to do so at Arnhem next year. Is that appropriate?
Yes I would say that is fine and I would wear them with pride .

Wearing of medals

You should only wear official decorations, medals or emblems that you are entitled to and have been approved for acceptance and wear. Unofficial medals should not be worn with official orders, decorations and medals.

If you are the next of kin of a deceased service person, it is common practice to wear your relative’s decorations and medals as a mark of remembrance. It is custom to wear medals on the right breast in civilian dress only, official approval is not required to wear relative’s medals.

Current serving personnel should not wear relative’s medals or unofficial medals whilst wearing uniform.

Ensure that your replica and miniature medals are bought from an officially licensed replica medal manufacturer. The merchandise licensing programme generates much needed revenue for our Armed Forces welfare funds that supports Serving and Ex-Serving members of the Armed Forces and their families.
wiki
A person's next of kin may be that person's spouse, adopted family member or closest living blood relative. Some countries, such as the United States, have a legal definition of "next of kin". In other countries, such as the United Kingdom, "next of kin" may have no legal definition and may not necessarily refer to blood relatives at all.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/medals-c...ring-of-medals

Last edited by NutLoose; 29th Sep 2023 at 15:42.