PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What will a 200h frozen ATPL holder expect?
Old 26th Sep 2023, 07:00
Iwanttoflybut...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sh1mmyDamper
This may sound a bit discouraging, but it is the reality nowadays. (Especially in Europe).

Most fATPL holders who just graduated from flight school will not get a job in the nearest future. Of course, there will always be someone (maybe 5 %) who gets an airline job relatively quickly by luck and being at the right place at the right time, (and these few pilots are the ones flight schools promote and use as evidence in terms of the "pilot shortage")... However the remaining 95 % will end up working typically in a store or as a ground handler with 120k euros in debt.
You have airlines such as RYR where you will have to pay for the type rating yourself, whossh another 30k euros out of the window.
It also seems like more and more airlines are starting their own cadet-programs.

I wouldn't spend 120 000 euros on an integrated flight school unless I was guaranteed a job afterwards, or if it was government sponsored.

But.. If it really is your dream, go for it! YOLO
Originally Posted by rudestuff
Becoming a pilot requires confidence and determination.. You are asking for reassurance. If there is any doubt there is no doubt. Sorry.
Thanks for both your replies. Re-assurance is something I will provide myself, what I need is realistic outlooks from those who know how much of a struggle it is or may be.

It is my dream, absolutely. I would go down the modular path, keep my day job and incur in 0 debt. But it’s not my dream to get rated, be down a lot of money, and not having a path towards a job. This is what I still do not understand -> other than the RYR 30k route, what are people doing to eventually land in the cockpit of an airliner? Or is it just the fact that most never make it there?
Need to think about it, a lot.