PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First day at Colorado Springs, USAF Academy
Old 24th Sep 2023, 07:41
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 132 Likes on 95 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Pistons Forever
That’s because it is a “glider training” program not a “soaring training” program. Considering all of the studes have been high graded out of the applicant pool and the end state is to be able to handle a tow to altitude then glide for a normal landing, 12 flights to solo seems quite reasonable to me.
Ah, thanks for making that subtle distinction. I would agree, in part, 12 aerotows should be sufficient to cover basic handling / spins / stalls and landing and thus become a glider pilot ....for the purposes of marketing and box ticking.

However, they are being deprived of the delights of X-country / field landings / thermals / ridge soaring and, the best of them all..wave flying. Oddly enough, the RAFGSA incorporates all these into the training and development of glider pilots.

But, it was thoughtful of you to mention the selection procedure. You see, once upon a time, and the demise has been justifiably well covered on here, the UK had an excellent organisation doing exactly the same thing....called the ATC ( ok, no aerotows, just winch launching, so it took a bit longer) and no selection boards / interviews etc, you just turned up when a place was allocated at your local Gliding School, got briefed and strapped in, resulting in many being launched, solo, into the sky age 16 ish....many of whom subsequently went on to not only fly professionally, but to become career involved in aviation and flying for pleasure.

I have no idea why my 3 launches at Burtonwood , especially the second, have never received their rightful place in the annals of aviation history !
The following users liked this post: