PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gatwick Flow Rate?
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2023, 15:28
alfaman

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by eglnyt
Whilst Chevron may not have been released other controllers were released and took part. The use of controllers may have changed more recently, there are others on here who were previously involved that may be able to clarify that.

Involving Controllers in the recruitment of already qualified controllers is a no-brainer. For ab-initio it may not be so obvious. Unless controllers somehow have a hidden sense that detects the qualities that will lead to successful validation why would they be any more successful at finding the right people than anybody else? The danger is that in the absence of that hidden sense they might instead select people that remind them of themselves at that age. If your controllers are mainly male and from a certain ethnicity that may not be a good thing and could lead to issues for the hiring organisation.

We know who took the tests, we know what they scored, we know who successfully validated and who struggled. We can also assume that those who validated passed the tests at some point. Unfortunately we are missing any information on whether those who weren't selected because of their test results would have validated. Validating the tests on existing controllers wouldn't give us any more than we already know. That would need an organisation brave enough to take a selection of those that failed and put them through the course to see what happens.
Agree, might have written that myself. I'd add, whilst the anecdotes from years gone by are mildly interesting, they don't relate to the situation as it is now. ATCOs have been actively involved in recruitment for at least the last 20 years that I know of, & the effect on the success or otherwise made little difference, in my experience. There's much more at play when it comes whether ultimately someone validates or not.