PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK Pilot Mental Health Survey-2023
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2023, 10:02
SOPS
short flights long nights

Received 158 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Pif Paf
Two points really, years ago it was pointed out to TCAS (the DSVP at the time) that we protect the engines, we don’t operate the engines at full power all the time as it’s not good for engine life and leads to increased maintenance. If we use full power all the time we would be in trouble!
Why then in comparison is rostering trying to use maximum flight hours every month?why does nobody care if flying so much with little time off leads to fatigue / medical / sleep / psychological or family problems! Why are pilots flight time limitations TARGETS, to which he came out with usual blah blah blah, fatigue system, rostering standards etc! He couldn’t care and that is EK attitude to this day.

Second point leading on from that is I’m sure if asked truthfully most pilots at EK suffer a constant amount of fatigue, sometimes it’s worse than others, but it’s constant fatigue. I know at my medical the doc always asks how I am, the reply is always tired but dealing with it the best I can, to which the doc then says you’re not alone! He says the senior AME doctors do tell Flt ops management but nothing changes and then he adds by the way the doctors are fatigued too, same problem!

that’s a small insight into EK for those interested!
FWIW…I did not realise how fatigued I was, until I had not flown for 6 months. The difference in how I felt, was amazing. Fatigue and all the problems it can lead to is very real in EK… and anyone who does not believe that is delusional.