PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Gender Neutrality Language-Really??
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2023, 10:32
superplum

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Uplinker
I don't think you should say "hole"............

We still use 'male' and 'female' to describe connectors in television broadcasting land. Connectors do not always have pins pointing in the direction of 'flow'.

Video connector (BNC) leads have a male at each end and females on all the equipment. Same with RF leads; male N types on the cables, female N types on the equipment. This makes the leads more resilient, since the outer ring of the male connectors can survive being dragged along the ground when they are pulled back onto cable drums in the de-rig - whereas female connectors would quickly get their bare threads or locking pins buggered up doing that. So send or return cannot define those.

I suppose that on site in future, I will have to ask my colleague to pass me a "female BNC barrel identifying as female", instead of a "female BNC barrel", (but has the barrel had the operation yet)?

'pin' and 'socket' might suffice instead of 'male' and 'female', but I am going to get a lot of funny looks if I do that. And honestly do any engineers, (and there are female engineers), object? I will ask the next time I am working on an outside broadcast.
So, if you attempted to place 2 female connectors together (of any description), would sparks fly?