PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are airlines still employing grads from smaller schools?
Old 12th Sep 2023, 21:27
04jharrison

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe I can help. I was an integrated student (FLYBE MPL) that has since gone modular (thankfully).

Your question is complicated to say the least, before starting the whole manner of training is that complicated it can be difficult to wrap your head round it. When I started in the FLYBE MPL for instance, I did so on the advice that it was a guaranteed job at the end of it... we know how that turned out. There were also other issues, first of course the cost, but also the expectations, I was 27 when I started the course, with many other cadets between 18-23... they expected students to complete their ATPLs in two sittings... for some this is fine, for others like myself when you're a little older and out of practice its a tall order. Finally, there is also the issue of licensing, an MPL is useless if for instance your airline (Monarch / Flybe) go bust, yes there have been instances of these students being fed to other airlines right away or after covid, but I also know cadets who paid 100k+ and now have useless licences they can't afford to convert. They're now stuck with the debt without jobs that can pay it back in a reasonable time frame.

I got lucky... I left the MPL course before Flybe's collapse, mainly due to my issues with the ATPLS as mentioned above. From there I completed the ATPLS myself, hour build in the USA (Far more fun and cost effective, no paying for landing fees!) I then got my ME/IR CPL in Poland before the Brexit cut off (also a god send as I saved a fortune), finish with UPRT at Fowlmere in April and APS MCC in June.

So... to answer your question what's the job market like? --- Frankly a piss take. All the airlines are doing currently are; hiring ex-military (500+ hour pilots), soaking up the Covid Job losses (some lucky flybe cadets) or poaching off of Ryanair and Wizz.

The poaching is unlikely to cease, Ryan air training is top notch and pilots there often want to move to better T&Cs at other airlines asap. This means the 30K type rating at Ryan is likely here to stay, the same goes for Wizz and their bond but terrible pay. Thanks to a lack of regulation in this area airlines are free to benefit from the budget airline profiteering from their own cadets/staff... providing a constant supply of recruits to each of the airlines, whilst taking on virtually no risk to themselves for training low hour pilots, who have already paid a fortune.

Finally there are the new schemes they're all running, they are a gambit for the future, they know they cant poach off Ryanair and Wizz forever, and so are planning ahead... in a manner which again creates the least risk to themselves and with the odd exception pushes more costs onto the cadets, such as requiring an integrated course certificate instead of modular.

So either you get lucky and you get a place on a tagged integrated course and the airline doesn't go bust / there isn't another global issue. Or you go modular and suck it up and pay Ryan or take a couple years of horrendous pay at Wizz. You're spot on though seeing this before committing!

My recommendation, try for the over-subscribed courses at BA/Air Lingus but failing that go Modular, save your money for the Ryanair type rating and hour build in the states for the enjoyment, experience and its cost effective nature! Also... vetting schools is a big must, ive seen some shockers and heard of even worse.

Good luck!