PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer Flying Qualities
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2023, 01:15
JSF-TC

Received 59 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for all the comments.

Photo of me and the model for size reference.

A video shot at a recent fly-in at Houston in June. Not a long sequence for the Buccaneer, but it gives an idea.

For those interested in it's construction, follow the link below for a build thread.

RCUniverse - Buccaneer Build Thread

It was completely own-designed and scratch built from some 3-view plans, a 3D scan of a plastic model, lots of photos, the AP Maintenance manual, and a good dose of TLAR (That Looks About Right).

ORAC's links to BEagles comments were really helpful in understanding the full scale characteristics - I think if I had read those before I started, I would have chosen something more straightforward. I can confirm this particular comment in the landing pattern "At this stage the ac is very unstable in all planes and must be flown very carefully indeed." also applies to this model. It has a 3-axis rate gyro working at maximum gain settings to make it manageable.

The addition of all the maintenance stencil markings and a detailed cockpit and crew is next up.

XW547 was chosen as it was one of the few Buccaneers to retain the extended wingtips throughout it's life. It was on XII Sqn books on and off between 1974 and 1985 and again from May 1986 until disposal in 1993. It was "Guinness Girl/ Pauline/ The MacAllan" during the Gulf War.

Thanks, and let's keep the Buccaneer stories coming.
The following 11 users liked this post by JSF-TC: