PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are airlines still employing grads from smaller schools?
Old 11th Sep 2023, 13:46
RichardH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brilliant post 605carsten & regretfully so true, I have certainly heard of parents/students losing houses as they acted as guarantors to a flying loan when it didn't work out.

An appropriate day for your comment, 22 years ago I was an ATPL TKI at Oxford instructing flight planning to fully sponsored integrated courses BA & Aer Lingus cadets who thought they too had a "guaranteed job" (they don't exist) only to learn that 48 hours later following world events their sponsorship had been withdrawn & courses canceled or significantly delayed. A similar thing happened to some easyJet MPL students in 2020 the FTO then wanted stupid sums of money so they could covert to a full FrATPL. The aviation/pilot market can turn on a sixpence (showing my age) usually due to external international events, oil crisis of 1970s, 9/11, Covid, or poor airline management etc. Anybody embarking on such training needs to be fully aware to the risks & try to mitigate accordingly (back up plan/career).