PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AsA TIBA/TRA/OPR Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2023, 12:34
sunnySA

Received 141 Likes on 103 Posts
Interesting arrangement for the partial closure of Canberra Tower.
AD CTL SER NOT AVBL (OPR RESTRICTIONS)

MANDATORY BROADCAST PROC AS DETAILED IN AIP APPLY ON 118.7

APP [AND DEP] CTL SER PROVIDED TO SFC ON 125.9. ALL AIRCRAFT
REQUESTING CLEARANCE INTO THE AIRSPACE MUST CONTACT 125.9. NO LANDING
OR TAKE OFF CLEARANCES WILL BE ISSUED.

PILOTS-IN-COMMAND ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR COLLISION AVOIDANCE ON
THE MOVEMENT AREA.

PRIOR TO OPERATING ON THE MANOEUVRING AREA PILOTS MAY, IF REQUIRED,
OBTAIN A BRIEFING ON CONTINGENCY PROCEDURES FROM AIRSERVICES
AUSTRALIA ON +61 3 9235 7420.

PRIOR TO OPERATING ON THE MANOEUVRING AREA PILOTS MUST:
1. OBTAIN A LANDING OR DEPARTURE TIME
2. IF DEPARTING, OBTAIN AN AIRWAYS CLEARANCE ON 121.7

PRIOR TO ENTERING THE RWY FOR DEPARTURE, PILOTS MUST:
1. REPORT READY ON 125.9 (CANBERRA APPROACH)
2. OBTAIN DEPARTURE INSTRUCTIONS AND REPORT AIRBORNE WITHIN THREE
MINUTES ON CANBERRA APPROACH 125.9.

AFTER LANDING, REPORT CLEAR OF THE RWY ON 125.9
FROM 09 100800 TO 09 100915
I say partial closure because the ADC (Aerodrome Control) position was not staffed but the SMC position was staffed. I assume this arrangement was to provide the ADC controller with a break during their shift and there was no-one endorsed to cover their break. And the break timed to allow them to then complete their shift without needing another break.

Could this happen elsewhere - yes, it could happen at Sydney if the endorsement mix didn't allow for the ADC positions to be staffed. Or 16R/34L and 07/25 could be closed if the available staff were only endorsed on 16L/34R. Lots of overseas locations train their Tower controllers on all positions rather than partial training, consolidation then further training but I digress.

Let's dissect the NOTAM. ADC not available. SMC available, but only to issue Airways Clearances. Canberra Approach 124.5 isn't referenced in the NOTAM, instead ML Centre 125.9 is used. The Aerodrome Chart says ML Centre FIA (AH), after hours, so this would the arrangement when CB Tower has closed - Information Z. But as posted by DROPS (thanks), the ATIS nominates a runway direction (also wind, temperature, QNH). So very different to Information Z.

Reasonable stream of traffic inbound between 6pm and 7pm too
Very different to the times when Information Z is broadcast.

PILOTS-IN-COMMAND ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR COLLISION AVOIDANCE ON THE MOVEMENT AREA.
OK, runways, taxiways and aprons, I guess the pilots-in-command are also responsible for terrain avoidance as well.

I listened to the ATIS and it was a bit of jumbled mess.
Contact ground on 121.7 for airways clearance & 03 9235 7420 for pilot briefing.
PRIOR TO OPERATING ON THE MANOEUVRING AREA PILOTS MAY, IF REQUIRED, OBTAIN A BRIEFING ON CONTINGENCY PROCEDURES FROM AIRSERVICES AUSTRALIA ON +61 3 9235 7420
Who is this ubiquitous AIRSERVICES AUSTRALIA? Surely there is a position, Operations Director, Operations Room Manager or even Contingency Manager?
Suggest that it would be much clearer if the ATIS stated "CTC ML CENTRE (or whomever) ON 0 3 9 2 3 5 7 4 2 0 (note the spacing so its clearer to listen to) FOR BRIEFING ON CONTINGENCY PROCEDURES", "FOR DEPARTING ACFT AIRWAYS CLEARANCE AVAILABLE ON FREQUENCY 121.7".

The Post Activation Report will make an interesting read. The situation doesn't really fit TMA Contingency Plan nor Non-continuous Tower. Problem is that the traffic levels exceed those normally experienced with the Tower is closed after hours. Downgrading the airspace and not using CB TCU seems an odd option.

Of course I could have this all wrong so please correct me as you see fit.