PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - T8 full pay or no pay
View Single Post
Old 7th Sep 2023, 14:54
Fac6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank W. Abagnale
It's not logical to increase the threshold to 70 hours and still pay the present basic pay in the current environment.
Cathay tries to expand and they don't seem to find enough candidates.
And the equivalent of 70 hrs as basic pay would only be a pay increase on first sight compared to the old contracts.
There is still no HDP, 84 hour overtime, 1.5/2.5/3.5 factoring anymore.
As long as people fly at least 70 hours (and with the expansion people people might do that for quite some time) it would be the same COS18 contract and pay at the end, which means it wouldn't cost Cathay a single cent more - even with maximum hours pilots would lose 25% of pay compared to the old contract.
Once Cathay reaches saturation with regard to pilot numbers, they can change the threshold number again, at their sole discretion, according to COS18.
Paying Basic Pay at the equivalent of 70 hours might just be a short term fix to attract more pilots.

As I wrote in the other post:
Mid/Long term I believe that Cathay will get rid of all expats anyways and that they will lower the salaries to something like China local pay once they reached the saturation point of pilots.

So much for the kool aid.
Quick back of fag packet numbers based on Capt 4 on the 747F...

70 hours = an extra $100K (approximate) inclusive of the extra PFund. Way more than CoS 08 pay for a Senior Capt at the same level. If he/she/them/they did 84 hours then thats an extra $140K approx

You just dont get it, still you hold on hoping for improved conditions. How many years has the pilot body been saying that better things are coming? I personally think CX are quite happy to be running the airline at reduced capacity at 100% load factors making a ton of cash. it makes business sense to grow it slowly and naturally as pilot numbers increase.

I am not trying to argue with you but if till now you still haven't woken up and smelt those roses then its pointless debating with you. Having said that, there is nothing I wish for more than for you all to get an increase in conditions. You all deserve that for sure.