PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - U.K. NATS Systems Failure
View Single Post
Old 6th Sep 2023, 13:12
Peter H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eglnyt
FPRSA stopped, it seems to have been designed to do so when it found something like this. That meant the UK effectively stopped receiving IFR Flight Plans, all of them regardless of the planned routing within the UK. No problem initially as the downstream systems have a buffer. As that buffer came close to depletion and with no fix in sight flow was imposed to limit the number of incoming flights to the UK to that number which could be manually created beyond FPRSA.
Non-aviation lurker & retired software engineer.

I'm finding it hard to understand why no attempt was made to continue with the the offending flight-plan handled by the manual system. For arguments sake, say after a cold restart of the system in case there had been any corruption.

Presumably some sort of fix or all-clear was eventually issued (I assume "continue but handle the offending flight-plan by hand"). I'm having difficulty imaging what type of issue(s) would require 4 hours to find or exclude.

PS I'm in some of the outer circles of confusion shown in the latest New Scientist cartoon.