PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Enhancing SA with type-specific call signs
Old 6th Sep 2023, 08:57
biscuit74

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Genghis the Engineer
I had an amusing, but potentially problematic incident a couple of years ago when I was flying my Bo209 Monsun to Biggin Hill. I usually referred to the aeroplane as a "Bolkow 209" when introducing myself to ATC, which is of-course what it is.

After my meetings there, I started up, and called for taxi - being given what to me were rather non-standard instructions, but fine, I continued to follow them until being asked to cross some rather rough grass to the centre of the runway - very odd. Then it dawned simultaneously on me and the controller that they'd heard "Bolkow" and assumed I was a helicopter. All sorted out politely enough, but ever since when I declare my type anywhere but my home airfield I am always "Bolkow 209 AEROPLANE". The extra word hopefully solves any future difficulties, and so far this appears to have worked.
Hah - I had a similar mild confusion, very briefly, long ago when an RAF radar controller asked my aircraft type after I'd asked for clearance to overfly the airfield. I said 'RF5B', meaning a Fournier RF5B. He hesitated then asked for confirmation that I was an RF5B, and state which Air Force - he'd immediately thought of a Northrop RF-5. Then he realised what speed I was doing,as I said I was a motor glider. " A tad slow for recce work" was the next call. (though I don't think anyone used two seat recce F-5s in Europe, did they?)