PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-8
Thread: Birmingham-8
View Single Post
Old 31st Aug 2023, 14:15
nwoody2001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard from a number of different sources, QR has always aspired to go 2x daily from BHX in order to truly and effectively compete with EK. The only way they can effectively do this is to have 2x daily departures which connect into the 2x waves of departures in DOH throughout the week. At the moment, this isnt possible with the mix of morning and lunchtime departures at the moment.

This is backed up by a) there being 2 different flight numbers between BHX-DOH and b) the ACL slot allocations allows for 2x daily flights. I believe this is still largely driven by aircraft availability so once the aircraft come available, i would impact they will slowly up capacity from 7 -> 10 -> 14 times weekly. Will be keeping an eye on their March 24 schedule if LF continue to remain heathy over the next few months...

With regard to any new Carriers, having QR/SV start in 2023, im not in a rush to get any new airlines on the deck as am happy to let these guys bed in, but as for new short/medium terms MH/LH stuff to look out for...?
  • Pegasus - Lowcost but offers great connections through SAW and would offer some nice capacity for istanbul
  • Play - Same as the above but going west for the first time in while. Also, whilst Jet2 offer BHX-KEF for a majority of the year, be good to get this year round rout back
  • Air India - Long rumoured to be planning significant expansion from BHX, would defo be good to see DEL go daily and BOM 3x weekly added alongside existing ATQ route