PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Crash - Melton Mowbray
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2023, 17:31
dash34

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Watcher
Very sad stories . From my experience ( over 50 years of gliding ) I do not buy in general the “heart attack “stories .they just surface when we have no explanation , and run out of hypotheses especially if the guy was a very experienced pilot .

Gliding accidents are very different from other general aviation ones, and those happening in competitions, are nearly all fully preventable if the comp rules were followed to the letter .
I do not do comps anymore , and since a few years now even refuse to tow during competitions.
Am not going to expand why here , off topic
But one last remark on Farm not working :
In Oshkosh, a few weeks ago there was only one glider on exhibition , at the SSA ( US Soaring Society ) stand , a ASG29 if my memory is correct, talked to its owner , looked at the cockpit to check instrumentation , and noticed a switch in the middle of the panel : FLARM on/off . I asked why : “sometimes i do not want others to see where I am “

For the record, a separate on/off switch is required in the FLARM installation guide. How it is used, however, is up to the pilot.

Last edited by dash34; 23rd Aug 2023 at 17:34. Reason: Clarification