PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA proposal to make ATPL training and testing easier?
Old 20th Jan 2004, 19:51
redsnail

PPRuNe Handmaiden

Received 55 Likes on 30 Posts
This JAR thing does seem crazy. I really don't think much practical thought went into it.
In Oz I know you can with your CPL/IR go and do IFR charters. I would have to check the actual experience required for single pilot airline ops. While you are legally allowed to do the IFR charter, whether any one will insure you is another thing.
I think what people are missing about flying solo is for once, you have to make decisions that will have a direct outcome on the flight. You can't ask your instructor or captain. You can't (often) radio back to base. It's down to you. So with the information you have and the experience you have, you now have to make decisions. If you make the wrong one in a small bugsmasher you tend not to take out too many people (if it's a crash) or more usually it doesn't cost the company too much money.
Being a captain isn't just about flying skills. It's about decision making and responsibility. While you do learn a lot sitting in the RHS or even the sim, you still have the safety net of being able to ask the captain or have another go in the sim.

Besides, flying an aeroplane all by yourself and being paid for it is the best thing in the world.