PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No one wants to be a Captain.
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2023, 02:29
WannabeBus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
Those "...at the top of the list..." didn't have the power to create the seniority system; they merely operate within that system. It was created by broader forces at work beyond the reach and influence of any demographic.

How else would you propose to distribute the flying ? A system where no one has any choice or control over his monthly fate ? Pawns every minute of every month at the whim of management ? Depend on the management drones to be "fair" to all concerned ?

The seniority system puts order in the game.

Regardless of the profession or job, someone has to follow the circus elephants with a bucket and shovel. Given a bit of time, they will pass that bucket and shovel to someone else. It all evens out in the end.
That's how my legacy airline operated. I didn't see myself having a good lifestyle in 20 years time (I was LHS on a twin widebody at the time), a senior captain would be getting similar rosters as a fresh junior captain on the same fleet. I looked around, at the deteriorating work conditions as a tech crew around the region - more work, less leave, losing our first class travel, etc, etc. As some one said, the golden years were over.
I had an opportunity to set up my own business, be my own boss, not have my life dictated by schedulers and having to go "beg" them for annual leave or specific off days. I got to go to all my kids events, was home on weekends, holidays, got regular sleep, decided when I would and could go on holiday. Cons - no more "glamorous lifestyle", I heat up my own meals at work, get my own drinks, less income - but no regrets.