PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 6th Aug 2023, 19:29
a334

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents, i'm not sure what you're all on about saying there are no jobs and there's no shortage. The simple reality is, there is a shortage, globally, period. Whether it's a "shortage" of experienced pilots, is irrelevant. There are seats to be filled, that aren't being filled. Left or right, does not matter. All the ME3 airlines continue to hire like crazy, and without having to read pprune, I have first hand accounts from several ME3 pilots who tell me there are not enough pilots to keep up with the renowned demand since the recovery has started from covid.

Oasis hit the nail on the head perfectly. Airlines will start hiring, and will lower requirements before they will pay, and then if they can't get locals, they'll find a way to attract talent from abroad. Step 3 all depends on the country, it's easier in some to bring in foreign talent then in others.

I can tell you that in Canada, hiring minimums have gone way down, and I mean way, way down. There is one regional that pay is so bad, there are more pilots leaving then being hired. What has the solution been thus far? While trying to bridge the pay gap, it doesn't happen overnight... so step 2 has already happened. 5 plus years ago, you weren't getting an FO job without 2500 hours, now? Hiring mins are 500 hours, yes, you read that right, 500 hours, and there actually have been pilots with 500-700 hours getting hired lately... The same can be said of the legacies in Canada, where it used to be 4000-5000 hours, some have now gone down to as low as 1500 hours... and yes, while the mins are one thing and normally most hired are usually way above mins, those times have changed, and lot's of pilots have been getting hired right at the mins, and in some cases, well below the mins!

Times are changing, whether some of you want to believe there is a shortage or not is up to you, but it does exist, and it is a global phenomena more or less

Last edited by a334; 6th Aug 2023 at 20:37.