PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2023, 14:11
Memphis Hubert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank W. Abagnale
My benchmark is Lufthansa, not Condor.

I am just pointing out invalid points about comparing a Condor career with a police officer.

BTW:
Your assumptions about CityLine are wrong too.
A basic pay of 5500€ for a first year FO translates into 3370-3750€ after tax.

You are making things up.

What I find fascinating is that you defend your career with Cathay tooth and nail when it comes to inaccuracies and when somebody makes an invalid comparison of a year 1 FO to a lifetime average police officer you agree without investigating (as it serves your agenda).

You are clearly biased.

I understand that for you those carriers are not tempting, but it’s not true that there is nothing going on with the legacy carriers.

As I said before it wouldn’t surprise me if Lufthansa opens up for Ready Entries soon.

I am not interested in discussing a pilot shortage as it is too theoretical. Hence I don’t try to use it as an argument.
May I cut into this discussion?

Europe (incl. Germany) is far from any pilot shortage. "Shortages" in the UK may be true, the same in the US, but UK is no more EU-member, thus labour market closed to expats, like it is in the US. If the labor market for pilots in the US would be the same like in the EU, there would absolutely no shortage either, and salaries wouldn't be 500000$+, but end at 300000$.
The examples of Condor aren't fully valid: They neglect massive paycuts at Condor during their Chapter11-bankruptcy, which Condor survived only due to massive aids from the EU and the new investor (Attestor). So what they got additionally just neutralizes some of the cuts.
Other airlines in Germany are still behind pre-corona (like TUIfly with a total of 20% off), Ryanair what is it?, Easyjet has closed it's Berlin base.
So indeed the only "winner" ist Lufthansa, but LH does, as mentioned before, not hire experienced pilots, nor DECs, so they cannot be included in any discussion like this. But be careful: The agreement between LH and "Vereinigung Cockpit" about 25-50% payrise extends over 3 years and includes a one time tax free yearly extra pay of 3000€, as offered by the ministry of finance to all employers/employees in order to cover extra spendings for energy (sharply risen prices due to the Ukraine-war and sanctions against Russia).
Small attempts of Wizzair or Eurowings (Bases ARN, PRG, PMI) to attract pilots with a one time premium pay of 30000€ may be a sign of an improving labour market for pilots (coming from desastrous conditions for pilots before), but are not yet a sign of a "shortage". Only when monthly salaries at the mentioned airlines rise significantly, we might reevaluate the situation.