PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2023, 06:16
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank, bottom line there is no shortage of experienced pilots jobs in EU! Please don't distract by pointing out pay rise at airlines nobody of us will ever get into. It's as relevant as what UPS or Delta pays: zero. Cityline is hiring? You are looking at 2500 Euro net and 10 years to left hand seat, if you are lucky. Come on, let's not turn this thread into a kindergarden, you are better than this. Don't distract by turning this into "I take a worse job for quality of life" discussion either. I said multiple times, and please just check above, yes, sometimes it might be worth accepting lower pay for quality of life. Of course!! But this is an entire different discussion and topic. It might be worth becoming a gardener in Tuscany or a teacher in Paris, but what has that to do with pilot shortage??? Your accusation I would not see lifestyle over pay is simply not true, I literally just said it again in this very thread:

Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong

If you want to leave Asia and return to Europe, or even change jobs within Asia, as an experienced pilot it's extremely difficult and most likely only possible by making extreme financial sacrifices. You will probably end up like Piet, in a mediocre job he only took to be home. As I said a million times before, it could still be worth it, money is not everything, but this is a complete different discussion.
I am talking about alternatives for experienced CX pilots in Asia and Europe, amd I am telling you there are no attractive jobs. Swiss??? You know well this is a lowly paid right seat for life job. Plus neither Swiss nor LH mainline hire anyone past 40 years of age. If you really know the German ( Swiss?) market so well, you should mention that imho. What else you got??? Condor F/O??? Come on, please, not you too.

Originally Posted by magenta magnet
Condor = 6000 EUR for a F/O pm
German tax on 6000 EUR is 42%

Take home = 3480 EUR

This excludes anything else the company deducts like health insurance etc.

Food for thought, this is the average police officers salary...
Exactly. This is the sad truth.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 4th Aug 2023 at 06:44.