PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 4th Aug 2023, 04:06
Sam Ting Wong

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frank, here is a link to the recruitment site of the Lufthansa Group.

https://www.be-lufthansa.com/en/pilot

No vacancies for experienced pilots at the mainline, they occasionally recruit cadets only if at all. Upgrade time around 15 years for 737 and 20+ for long haul. Some limited offers at the low cost sub brands. Please research the pay scale at Eurowings or Discover, trust me, you will be in for a shock. Then subtract 45% tax and you might need a drink and some fresh air. These jobs are extremely poorly paid, you work a lot, and some contracts put you on no pay in low season. It's reflecting the very opposite of a shortage, they obviously get away with offering these low figures or they would up them.

The pay deal at LH is only possible because of enormous union power, similar to the US. It does NOT reflect a shortage and it's worth to look at the fine print, LH pilots agreed to previous cuts, which why the current raise looks high. The pay offer is the result of astronomical costs because of previous industrial action crippling the operation, not out of fear of losing staff. I guarantee you they would open every single Champagne bottle in their cellars if high seniority captains on A++ scale would voluntarily leave, the notion they want to keep them is really erroneous.

I do agree with you that we live in truly exceptional times, will see how this all works out in the end.

Last edited by Sam Ting Wong; 4th Aug 2023 at 04:48.