PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 3rd Aug 2023, 18:21
Piet Lood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong
Piet, are you ok? You used to at least read my posts before having your usual rant. Tired? The EASA FTL's are a bitch, hope you are fine..

I was emphasizing the unfortunate fact that there is no global shortage, only a regional one in the US and Australia. Kindly see the thread link and the post I was replying to.

If you want to leave Asia and return to Europe, or even change jobs within Asia, as an experienced pilot it's extremely difficult and most likely only possible by making extreme financial sacrifices. You will probably end up like Piet, in a mediocre job he only took to be home. As I said a million times before, it could still be worth it, money is not everything, but this is a complete different discussion. Presently there is no shortage of suitable pilots in Europe or Asia, and again and again, I am talking about job prospects for experienced guys at a certain age. A shortage of candidates at Whizz Air Base Hungary for 3000 Euros is not a shortage, it's a tragedy. That is precisely what I was commenting on, and the above thread link would inform you I am not alone making this assessment. Just bloody read it if you care.

I am only modestly interested in alleged future shortages, mainly because I happen to live now and not in 10 years and also just about anyone can make these predictions. Also after about 20 years hearing these claims in here, without ever materializing, frankly, it's getting a bit boring.Also AoA, what statistic should I please consider? Which data? Show it to me! I bet you can't. You made a very common mistake. You mixed up projected(!) growth and demand(!) with shortage. Not the same thing. Plus exponential growth of IT technology is not included, the demand is based on current cockpit layouts and technique. It doesn't require much fantasy what consequences recruitment problems in US will have on AI solutions and automation. Massive investments in this sector will eventually lead to higher productivity, unavoidable. And again, the crucial question is of course, where and when is that mystic shortage? I need a job today not in 2035.

As to the main title of the thread, Cathay is still not imploding, but will soon post record profits. The seniority list will grow with the help of cadets, upgrade times will go down. Some familiar names popped up at the bottom of the list as well, another clear indicator of how difficult it is to secure a financially reasonable employment elsewhere.

The shortage is a fever dream, as is the demise of Cx, it's wishful thinking. All the talk about safety problems is just tiring and ignorant of the actual data. Look at the safety records of Chinese or Indian airlines just as an example. Exactly what I said from the beginning, and for what I get crucified and ridiculed in here since years now. There will be a massive rebound, amplified by the enlarged HKIA next year and high profits, mark my words.

Now go on and shoot the messenger as usual, it's ok, I know you guys are unable to distinguish between a debate on future developments and taking sides..
You know what’s getting a bit boring? (But still mildly entertaining).
Your thick skull and inability to admit you’re wrong.

US regional shortage? How many ex-CX guys are now flying for AA/Delta/UPS/Fedex/Atlas/United?
All regionals?

Also: who has trouble reading when I have told you multiple times that I have not gone home and didn’t have to make any “extreme financial sacrifice”, on the contrary, but you have always been good at ignoring facts and statements that don’t suit your narrative.

You keep doing you and we will continue to laugh at your silliness, although, as you said, it is getting a bit boring.

Let me end on a positive note for you, since you always seem to be willing to be so nice to me: the European low-cost market is indeed a tragedy.
And I blame pilots like you not willing to fight for better cos’s. ****, there goes my positive note.