PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2023, 13:30
helispotter

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
I haven't seen any post yet indicating the summary of the accident as it now appears on the ATSB website, which differs to some of the earlier posts:

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications...rt/ao-2023-036
"The ATSB is investigating a collision involving Jabiru J430, VH-EDJ, and Piper PA-25-235, VH-SPA, at Caboolture aircraft landing area, Queensland on 28 July 2023.
An initial analysis of video footage showed that VH-SPA was returning to land at the airfield on runway 06, before it commenced a go-around. The Jabiru J430 had just taken off from runway 11.
The 2 occupants of VH-EDJ were fatally injured. The sole pilot of VH-SPA was uninjured..."
Looking at aerial footage shown on ABC News, the wreckage of VH-EDJ lies on the western side of runway 24 threshold with VH-SPA parked on the eastern side of that threshold. Another post here (Dora-9, #60) suggests VH-SPA managed to complete a circuit after the collision before landing, so presumably that explains its parked location? There is also a taildragger parked beyond the threshold of 24 in the ABC footage. Unclear if it was involved or stopped there to try to render assistance?

ABC News screenshots:

Caboolture runway designations from the Aeroclub website:

So approximate flightpaths / take-off run and final locations of aircraft would be something like:

Half a lifetime back, I had my one and only glider joyflight at Caboolture airport.

It is so sad to hear when such accidents happen. In this instance, seems like ATSB should be able to piece together the circumstances reasonably well. Hopefully there will be safety lessons, but what a price to pay.

The following 2 users liked this post by helispotter: