PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2023, 03:58
43Inches

Received 433 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
​​​​​​
I too have failed pilots on checks for lack of SA. One was on his final command check, with a F/O in the RHS and me in the jumpseat. He had got through every stage without any great distinction, but seemed ready, otherwise he would not have been there. Anyway, after landing on 24 at Perth, just ahead of another jet on fairly short final for 21, he wanted to turn into the intersection. Of course I over rode that in no uncertain terms! After another six months in the RHS, his SA was much improved.
​​​​​Apologies for drift, and in no way implying that either pilot in this tragedy lacked SA, but I am with Rodney on this.
Perth also has designated runway exit taxiways depending on turbo-prop or jet, which makes it all the worse if you start using the runway to exit. Any other exit point you are supposed to get approval for. The same as ATC at Sydney or Melbourne will expect you to use the rapid exits and if you can't you have to tell them. Sounds like more than SA issues, it's also a failure to read the appropriate documents regarding that port. Which is a worse offence for a Captain than just making an error of judgement on exiting the runway.

Last edited by 43Inches; 1st Aug 2023 at 04:09.
The following users liked this post: