PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot shortage
Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2004, 03:47
Dan Winterland

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
RTO. OK, lets elaborate:

Britannia: ask for type rated pilots but there aren't many. So they emply non - type rated pilots. A friend of mine has recently started a B757 course with only a few hundred hours and nothing heavier than a Seneca in his logbook.

Jet 2: Again, ask for type ratings but are taking pilots without. Two friends of mine have just joined without ratings - directly into the LHS!

Virgin: Not requiring type ratings. Didn't when I joined, still don't. Two of my non-type rated mates are about to start their A340 courses.

DHL: Would like type rated people - like most. However, there aren't many. Don't personally know anyone who joined, but have heard stories of those who have joined without ratings.

Ryanair: No type ratings - but even if you have to pay for one - you still don't have to have one to join.

Easyjet: Ditto. However, if you have enough experience, they don't require you to pay. Three mates joined in this category. Two had commands within a year.

Emirates: Lots of my mates went there. None with A330 or B777 ratings. OK, you have to have a number of hours and glass jet time - but no rating.

Cathay Pacific: Where do I start? Quite a few mates joined - no ratings. They do have a huge amount of applicants to chose from which may be why you haven't heard from them.

Dragonair: Your info about this company is way off - it's my company! I was neither a type rated captain or from HK. Min 4000 hours though.

Qatar: Would like type ratings - that's why they ask. However, I refer you to the case of another mate who joined with no type rating.

Are you perhaps confusing a lack of a rating with lack of experience?

Scroggs - thanks for the support.

PS - I've thought of two more. NetJets (no ratings required) and Singapore Cargo (preference to rated pilots, but not required).

PPS - I just re-read your first post. You appear to have 140 hours and a PPL. Unless you are applying for a cadetship, you won't get a reply from anyone until you meet the company's recruitment criteria.

Last edited by Dan Winterland; 20th Jan 2004 at 03:58.