PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 1st Aug 2023, 02:11
Chronic Snoozer

Received 339 Likes on 130 Posts
CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY REGULATIONS 1998 - REG 91.370
Take-off or landing at non-controlled aerodrome--all aircraft (1) This regulation applies to an aircraft (the subject aircraft ) at a non-controlled aerodrome at which a take-off or landing of the aircraft can only occur from or to a runway.

Rules for take-off

(2) The pilot in command of the subject aircraft (other than a glider being towed by a glider tug) for a flight contravenes this subregulation if:

(a) the subject aircraft commences to take-off from a runway; and
(b) before taking off, a requirement mentioned in subregulation (3) is not met.

(3) The requirements are the following:

(a) if another aircraft is taking off before the subject aircraft from the same runway:
(i) the other aircraft must have crossed the upwind end of the runway; or
(ii) the other aircraft must have commenced a turn; or
(iii) the runway must be longer than 1,800 m and the other aircraft must have become airborne and be at least 1,800 m beyond the proposed point of lift-off of the subject aircraft; or
(iv) the other aircraft and the subject aircraft must both have a maximum take-off weight below 2,000 kg, and the other aircraft must be airborne and at least 600 m beyond the proposed point of lift-off of the subject aircraft;
(b) if another aircraft is landing on the same runway before the subject aircraft--the other aircraft must have vacated the runway;

(c) if another aircraft is landing before the subject aircraft and is using a crossing runway--the other aircraft must have crossed, or must have stopped short of, the runway the subject aircraft is taking off from.

Part 91 General operating and flight rules s91.370

I understand this to mean that unless the pilot taking off has visually sighted the landing aircraft stopped short of the intersection, there is no guarantee of separation. From what I have seen on Google Earth and read here, it appears unlikely a pilot on the threshold of 11 (or holding) could see an aircraft on the runway to the west of the intersection of 06/24 and 11/29. Is that correct?

I can also picture a scenario where the landing aircraft goes around from a low height, transmits a call to that effect but it is not heard due to line of sight issues or worse, lost in the clutter of a busy frequency/over transmitted.

The question is then how often would this occur at uncontrolled aerodromes?

Last edited by Chronic Snoozer; 2nd Aug 2023 at 03:00. Reason: Updated with RWY 11 as departure runway