PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2023, 16:29
Clare Prop

Received 242 Likes on 111 Posts
Snoop

Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
​​​​​​
I too have failed pilots on checks for lack of SA. One was on his final command check, with a F/O in the RHS and me in the jumpseat. He had got through every stage without any great distinction, but seemed ready, otherwise he would not have been there. Anyway, after landing on 24 at Perth, just ahead of another jet on fairly short final for 21, he wanted to turn into the intersection. Of course I over rode that in no uncertain terms! After another six months in the RHS, his SA was much improved.
​​​​​Apologies for drift, and in no way implying that either pilot in this tragedy lacked SA, but I am with Rodney on this.
Myself also. It would certainly come under the heading of "safety critical". therefore a fail of that item and test discontinued. I have had similar on a test where pilots decided to land before the runway was clear. In one case because there was an emu on the runway "But it would have got out of the way when we got closer" and another it was a Cessna who seemed to have stopped, possibly due to a puncture "But I was cleared to land by the tower" he said when I took the controls and went around.
The following 2 users liked this post by Clare Prop: