PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2023, 12:33
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Quote: "The old patronising tone eh, try to be civil."
In no way was I meant to be patronising, gosh. I would dare say I am being quite civil compared to some of the bile expressed in this thread. OK I might have called someone a nasty troll in this thread, but I believe that was justified.
Clare Prop, you provided the context in your subsequent post, thanks, there is now better understanding of what you experienced.
I was raising possibilities due to your lack of detail in your previous post about your tug scare, because your presentation seemed very one-sided (four-legs good, two legs bad).

"However, a single CTAF that included Northam, York, Beverley and White Gum would be safer than having the current "venn diagram" overlapping for the 10nm radius of each, with three out of the four having different frequencies."
Curious, logic doesn't quite work, by that argument, YPPH, YPJT and YPEA should be on the same frequency too.
At YBEV, because it is a busy airfield with much local flying devoted to training, I would rather not know what is going on in YBUN when trying to instruct or conduct a passenger flight. (I am also sure that YBUN doesn’t want to hear YBEV CCT calls). The one reason YBEV went to CTAF was to declutter the air waves from York and White Gum radio traffic.
It could be construed that is a patronising argument that aviators cannot manage frequency changes.

As a tow pilot (meaning PPL too) and glider pilot, I am acutely aware of congested circuit ops and the potential for mid-airs. Tow planes just don't drop in on the live side down wind as suggested, aerobatic descents are frowned upon, and descents are managed to prevent shock cooling of the engine. Yes tow planes do rapid descent by the nature of their ops and usually in a way to least cause any conflict, that is why there is a double cross on the charts.

Fundamental rules of the air is that power gives way to gliders and gliders to balloons. That is just the way it is and makes common sense. Powered aircraft have a power lever (or similar combination of levers) at their disposal for when needed, when they don't work, you become a glider (and people will give way to you too).

The moral panic generated by this thread with regards to glider ops and tow plane operations is astounding.

I wonder how many of the nay sayers have actually been up in a glider?

Before condemning, why not walk in the shoes of the other?

PS: Lastly, I would never be condescending, that is where I would talk down to someone.

Last edited by MALT68; 31st Jul 2023 at 14:21. Reason: Typo in opening paragraph.
The following users liked this post: