PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2023, 08:30
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
​​​​​​
Originally Posted by rodney rude
Rex Havoc. Here we have an accident at Caboolture which at this stage appears to have been the result of two aircraft using crossing runways at the same time. 2 people have lost their lives. And you say I am an idiot for failing a pilot who put his aircraft onto finals in direct opposition to another aircraft on finals to a crossing runway???? 2 aircraft on crossing runways and 2 are dead. I see, in my aircraft, one of my pilots put him and me in conflict with another aeroplane with very real possibility of collision. 2 have just died because of this scenario and I am supposedly an idiot for failing a pilot with no SA and zero airmanship. You're right I should ignore that. You really are dumber than you look
I too have failed pilots on checks for lack of SA. One was on his final command check, with a F/O in the RHS and me in the jumpseat. He had got through every stage without any great distinction, but seemed ready, otherwise he would not have been there. Anyway, after landing on 24 at Perth, just ahead of another jet on fairly short final for 21, he wanted to turn into the intersection. Of course I over rode that in no uncertain terms! After another six months in the RHS, his SA was much improved.
​​​​​Apologies for drift, and in no way implying that either pilot in this tragedy lacked SA, but I am with Rodney on this.