PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 31st Jul 2023, 04:04
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
It's like roundabouts on the road. A lot of drivers have no clue on the actual, very simple rule for right of way on a roundabout, and that is whoever is on the roundabout has right of way, anyone entering the roundabout has to give way to vehicles already on the roundabout (at the point of entry). None of this give way to the right or anything else, simply who's on first wins. Now that being said, you can enter and pass in front of another vehicle if you are not going to impede their travel, that is create a collision risk or simply force them to deviate or slow down, so on a large roundabout you are quite legal to enter while another vehicle is on it as long as you have not impeded them, they just have right of way. Once you are all on the intersection, the over riding rule which says basically you must avoid a crash applies, so you can not use your right of way knowingly to create a collision or push somebody off the road.

So coming back to the aviation equivalent in the circuit pattern, the rules are there to promote who has right of way, and should be applied. Those using the most into wind have right of way, those landing have right of way over others taxiing or taking off and lower aircraft to land wins (except if you create this situation after the fact by diving). There is also specified separation requirements for continuing a landing or commencing a take-off to be satisfied. Then there's gliders, have right of way over powered aircraft, aircraft in distress have right of way and so on...

But it all goes out the window if you see a dangerous situation developing in that you must take action to avoid that situation, by law. If in doubt wait, stay clear and clarify what is happening.

If there's an aircraft taking off (rolling) with tail wind on 18 and i'm established on final for 36, into wind, I'm not going to 'assert' right of way and continue to land. My obligation to operate an aircraft safely (by law) compels me to take avoiding action as early as possible to diffuse a dangerous situation.

Also part of the reason for having a rule to be 'established' on final by a specific point is to give traffic on the ground sufficient lookout time to spot arriving aircraft, tight descending turns onto very close final will reduce the opportunity for sighting and reduce the ability for departing/taxiing aircraft to sight you. Apart from the obvious flight safety issues of stable approach and stall spin issues turning low and slow that is.

Last edited by 43Inches; 31st Jul 2023 at 04:20.
The following 2 users liked this post by 43Inches: