PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2023, 05:26
Dora-9

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
One more input from me, this time written with a heavy heart since I've since realized that I've met the Jabiru pilot a few months ago in my hangar at Caboolture (he went to school with my brother-in-law) and I also know the Pawnee pilot.

I was earlier struggling to reconcile the Jabiru wreckage trail with a Rwy 11 departure wondering how it ended up so displaced from the 11/29 centreline, also the "low altitude collision" description when all landings on 06/24 normally result in the aircraft being on the ground at the runway intersection. However, I've just had this scenario described:

The Jab is departing from 29 while the Pawnee, on final for 06, tells the Jab that he'll stop before the intersection. However "a Cessna" then crosses 06/24 ahead of the Pawnee, forcing him to go around and thus collide with the Jabiru. The Jabiru turns through 180 degrees and impacts the ground on the 24 threshold while the Pawnee flies another circuit, lands on 06 and then taxies up to the Jabiru wreckage.

Just awful. I'm not about to comment on any blame here.

There have been a few posts suggesting a less than stellar performance from the Caboolture Gliding Club. Could I just add that I've flown out of Caboolture for 24 years now and I've NEVER seen anything to cause me to doubt the safety of their operation. The idiot parachutists yes (now thankfully long gone) and I occasionally look askance at the helicopter operation, but the gliders - never.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dora-9: