PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2023, 04:59
Possum1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No-one has mentioned why the Pawnee pilot has landed long. He should have had his wheels on the ground by the intersection even if he was using 24 with its threshold only 350 m distant but for:
(a) excessive float in a quartering tailwind or
(b) deliberately landing long(past the intersection) so as to finish the landing run where the gliders might have been parked due to commercial pressures - an extended final at 70kts being quicker and cheaper than a taxi up to the parked gliders at 10-20kts.

I witnessed a couple of weeks ago the tugs at Boonah doing the same thing, approaching high and landing long so as their roll out finished at the end of the runway in front of the club where the gliders were parked. Of course, there is no cross runway at Boonah.

Also there could be possible confusion due to the renaming of the runway 11/29 from previously 12/30. I don't know when this changed, but it would have been only in the last two years. I checked an old ERSA of mine(17 June 2021) and it still had 12/30 listed. I presume this was done to avoid confusion with Caloundra's runways 12/30.
The following users liked this post: