PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid - Air @ Caboolture
View Single Post
Old 29th Jul 2023, 00:54
MALT68

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts
Quote from #43 "For the amount of flight operations in Australia, mid-airs are over represented, our system is vetted by many third world airspace. ADSB OUT AND IN makes a difference. Having recently avoided 2 different conflicts in short succession due to ADSB IN, I am concerned by the robustness of Aus airspace."

OK, great... Can such claims be backed up by comparable statistics?

What do you mean by over-represented? Per aircraft movements, hours in the air, nautical miles covered?

"Our system is vetted by many third world airspace", that comes across as pejorative.
"ADSB OUT AND IN makes a difference", again have you got statistics from the pre ADSB era versus ADSB era?
"Having recently avoided 2 different conflicts in short succession due to
ADSB IN", congratulations, the technology has helped you.
"I am concerned by the robustness of Aus airspace", of course you are entitled to your concerns, are they real or perceived? Are your concerns based on robust stats?

Australia has a "big sky", nevertheless a/c will be concentrated around airfields, hence the due diligence required by all operators. In the very large majority of cases, CCT ops at uncontrolled airfields are without incident.
I am of the firm belief that most aviators, whatever their craft, want to and perform ops safely. So when accidents like these occur, refer to the Reason/Swiss Cheese Holes model.

In response to #46 "
Not necessarily an indicator of safety, unless you are a believer in safety through paperwork."
Actually I do believe in safety through paperwork, e-flightbags, it is better than nothing. Human memory can be frail, the written word is for all to see.
Any document will have errors, it should be a living thing amenable to iterations, updates and feedback.
If people have quibbles or issues with SOPs, offer helpful feedback.

Someone went to the effort to create a comprehensive SOP for YCAB for good reason. The current YCAB ERSA entry refers to it too.
If operating into an unfamiliar airfield, self brief, use the ERSA entry if one exists, see if a current airfield SOP exists, if required get prior permission, speak to the airfield operator as a courtesy, ask about local procedures, speak to pilots who regularly use the strip. Use all the information at your disposal, you owe it to yourself and your passengers, and your hosts at the airfield you are visiting. It is common sense.

Safety through reading and paperwork or e-flightbags is paramount in aviation. NOTAMS, Wx, flight notifications, Checklists, pilot operating handbooks, SOPs. to name a few.
The following users liked this post: