PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CL-215 down in Greece
View Single Post
Old 26th Jul 2023, 11:19
Cedrik

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardJones
R.I.P guys. You did your best.
I think it maybe time to start rethinking the pilot selection for the firefighting role. Would it not be better to get current agricultural pilots in to do the job? Pilots with low flying experience around hill country etc. Gleaned over a lifetime. In some cases.
I put it to you it would be better to train current agricultural pilots, masters in the art of low flying BTW, to fly the water bombers. This would be more sensible than teach these military pilots the art of low flying. Why? Well it's their job. Some have been doing ag flying for decades and kept themselves alive. They must be doing something right.
Aggressive pilots looking for trouble aren't really suited to the role IMHO. The grave yards are full of them.
Another problem is currency. How can these pilots remain current, or keep your hand in, when they are only wheeled out when there are fires?
Just my 2. Cents worth.
Seems countries themselves who select the pilots to do the job have other criterion for pilots than low level experience. A lot of Ag pilots do fly fires, the supply of pilots who have extensive mountain flying and low level experience is drying up.