PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Operation Victor Search
View Single Post
Old 25th Jul 2023, 10:52
NutLoose

Received 3,040 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Originally Posted by Nil_Drift
ORAC

Thanks for providing the link. The brief report has answered another couple of questions that were in my head particularly why nobody ejected. It's sad that the Captain saw things happening and possibly left it too late or was outside of parameters.

I remember sitting in the back seats of a Victor and being told that those ejectors were a twist and push type to exit out of the port door. It never appealed to me as a survival aid as there was still the wing, engine intakes and the large T-tail to contend with.

I'm sure that Beagle will remind us of the escape issues with the VC10 K3 which is why the port side door was welded up.
Re VC10
It was just disarmed and made an ideal bin with a bin bag slotted into the chute part , especially with it being opposite the galley.
Still, better than sliding out of it and becoming fly splatter on the wing.

Re the Victor, I read somewhere that on a real evacuation the crew reported problems getting the door open, the door was apparently fine, but the sim one they used to practice the procedure on had got so worn over the years, it was far easier to open, something the crew were not expecting in real life, hence the difficulty.