PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Jobs 2023
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2023, 10:57
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
Originally Posted by handysnaks
Crab, Not all civvy pilots just pole around doing offshore work. Pipeline and power survey pilots are knocking around the country at 500 ft or less and corporate pilots landing and departing from some soggy grouse moor at dark O’Clock are also plentiful (although I doubt the latter group would take the drop in salary). Either of those groups are probably capable of carrying out the police role during the day (and probably at night). I think it is the night work out in the sticks that is probably the area where those pilots who are going to have issues with the role, find that out. As for the IR issue, I still think that as an employer you go for the best qualified of the most suitable candidates first. If you then need to drop your preferred requirements, so be it. Personally, I do see a case for police pilots having an IR, especially if whatever NPAS becomes remains a national organisation rather than an individual force organisation that we used to have pre-NPAS.
I broadly agree but knocking around at low level or delivering/collecting rich people from outdoor pursuits isn't really representative of police work whereas a fair bit of mil flying - especially the night stuff - is.

Therefore if you want the best qualified people because they need less training then you would most likely select the ex-mil people for the police role.

If NPAS had an unlimited bucket of money they might look to develop pilots in house but since NPAS was designed to save money it ain't going to happen.