PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Jobs 2023
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2023, 08:26
[email protected]

Received 652 Likes on 287 Posts
I'm sorry Crab, but you stated that NPAS shouldn't insist on an I.R. but just take ex-mil with their procedural I.F. and the problem goes away? Really??
My actual point was that insisting on an IR forces pilots leaving the mil to pay £20K for it and to pass a test that is only the equivalent of a mil IR that they will have held for years.

I'm not doubting that N Sea flying is demanding but so is a whole lot of mil flying which, I'm guessing from your indignation, you haven't done.

I didn't say anything about civilian pilots would have faired better.​​​​​​​
So why put all those accidents in your post?

What we agree on is that an IR for police work is unnecessary and since they are still (or were up to a few months ago when a colleague was working for them) required to do as Shy says, monthly IF practice.

So if you are NPAS, and you don't require an IR for your pilots, which group will have demonstrated the requisite skills over many years - the ex mil or the civ self starter? And who do you want on the controls when IIMC or difficult conditions are encountered - the person with years of similar experience or the person who has flown only straight line from A to B followed by an ILS?

​​​​​​​