PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL without Class 1 Medical
View Single Post
Old 24th Jul 2023, 05:47
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a Head of Training, wanting to employ a FI, it's easy for me to check credentials on the ratings page of a licence, i.e. holds a CPL and SEP and FI ratings, current. I'm not sure how to check a PPL with SEP and FI has current passes in CPL exams. I guess the UK CAA issues a piece of paper with the results on, maybe it's just online these days, as with the PPL exams? Does the validity of the exams expire with time, if no CPL issued?
I don't have the time or resources to research these kinds of questions. Fortunately this has never arisen for me. A vanilla PPL with SEP and FI is of no use to me, I've yet to have a student actually just go for the LAPL, generally they can all obtain a Class 2 or Class 1 medical and will do in excess of the PPL hours during training.
We do mention the availability of the LAPL and its training requirements along with its limitations and everyone so far has opted for the PPL. The younger ones after a career need the PPL anyway and the older ones will inevitably take more than 45 hours.
There was a thing from AOPA about the dangers of using a PPL only holding instructor for anything other than LAPL instructing, a minefield I'd rather not enter.
TOO