Thread: Pilot shortage
View Single Post
Old 19th Jan 2004, 20:39
Gearupandorrf

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Smile How many Aussies are there?

G'day M.85,
Here's another Aussie!

You may not realise why there are so many of us here?

Well, I've been living in the UK now for 9 weeks, and have come from Melbourne. Did all of my training via the modular route from 1999 'till 2001, and had been in Melbourne ever since scrimping and saving to be able to afford to move here.

Like many Aussies, my chances of ever getting a job on a jet at home are questionable (at best). This has gotten better (a bit) with the arrival of Virgin Blue on the scene. In fact, even getting a gig on a Dash 8 or a Brasillia is tough work because of the sheer size of the competition. People who have got those jobs already have 1000-3000 hours and have "taken it with the rough end of the pineapple" for years in GA, flying dodgy single engine types on minimum wage and being asked (made) to work in very questionable conditions.

I've been registered on Proon for a while now, and over the years I've seen the most incredibly ignorant attitudes in regards to Turboprop work. Back home, it is a major acheivement to get onto a Dash 8, F27, Saab 340 etc. Sure, the competition is tough here at the moment but it's a land of opportunity. I'll gladly take one of your Turboprop jobs with my 300 hrs! Not only that, but I'll do it anytime, day or night, and will just be happy to cover my basic living expenses. Get excited about the fact that you have dozens of jet operators to forward your CV to.

And, most of all, don't just wait for a Pilot shortage to happen. There is a trickle of jobs out there, and some low hours people are being considered (Turboprop). Do ALL that you can to be considered. For me, this includes keeping the IR and Medical current, reviewing info from the ATPL's on a reguar basis, undertaking some aptitude testing so that you KNOW what to expect at interviews, undertake some training in CV and Interview technique, and the MOST IMPORTANT:

NETWORK, NETWORK AND NETWORK SOME MORE!!

In a sea of 300 hr. CPL/IR's, we all look the same unless we have some sort of personal connection with the Chief Pilot/ Fleet Manager. Once a foot's in the door at that personal level, it's then just a matter of "cultivating" that friendship over the phone/email etc. If you can swing it and your working situation allows it, get out in the car with your suit and tie on and some CV's under your arm, and trawl the country for face-to -face meetings. A Turpoprop fleet manager would be chuffed that you took the time to drive from Manchester to Exeter just to present your face! Of course, find the balance where you are being "keen" and not a "pest".

As I said, low hours peolple are getting jobs. But these people have done ALL that they can to be prepared , and have given themselves every chance. Don't leave any stone unturned.

The clincher for me to forget about a career (for the time being) in Oz was back in 1997. I was jumpseating Melbourne- Brisbane in a Qantas 737 and having a chat with the Captain in regards to what I wanted to do with my flying career. I said that one day I'd love to fly for Qantas. His response to me was that at 23, I was too old to have any sort of chance of getting into an Airline in Oz!! At the time I had already completed some of my CPL training.

So boys and girls, be thankfull that you live in a part of the world where the dream is possible. Be thankfull that you can fy something decent without having to live in incredibly remote places just to fly a Cessna 210.

Go out there and make it happen. Todays friendly contact is tommorows head start when jobs re-appear.

Best of luck to all,
Gearup.
Oh yeah, and M.85, chuck us another shrimp on the barbie willya?