PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 22nd Jul 2023, 10:24
Alex Whittingham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much extra did the dual licence cost you? I think that anything up to 10 grand probably puts it into the 'worth it' category
The dual licence can be obtained for the extra cost of (i) an additional EASA Class 1 medical (ii) licence issue fees from your chosen EASA State and (iii) an additional set of ATPL exam fees. Overall I would guess about £1500 to £2000. It is possible to conduct the professional elements of your training at Modular ATOs who carry dual approval - one course two ticks - and also get your CPL and IR flight tests examined by dual qualified examiners - one test two ticks. Not all modular ATOs can arrange this, some have a surcharge to, for instance, fly to Ireland and take a test there, but it can be done. As to the idea of integrated ATOs offering modular training... they all do this when the integrated concept comes under pressure, and it is under pressure now. The habitual behaviour is firstly to overcharge for modular courses because they are a 'big school with airline connections' and then when integrated becomes popular again the remaining modular pilots suddenly find it's hard to get an aeroplane..... instructors not available ..... the integrated courses need to get finished, so sorry.

Finally, I cannot emphasise enough the importance of properly researching your ATO. Do NOT pay more than a few thousand up front. Look at the Companies House records. There are some very financially precarious operators out there and already this year many pilots have lost tens of thousands when ATOs have gone bust. Slick advertising does not mean financial security. *Pay as you fly*