PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 21st Jul 2023, 22:43
alexeyAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamPope5
I am a modular student at LE doing dual licensing. A fair few of us doing modular courses although most are doing this alongside a university course which is just as expensive as integrated. I did my PPL at Stapleford in 2020 and they managed to get me flying x3 a week and had it completed by the end of the summer although not sure how this is now compared to the pandemic availability of instructors and aircraft which allowed me to do this so quickly, but would recommend. My instructor went above and beyond for my training needs. I am of to Spain next month after final exams for the hour building phase with LE. As has been said before make sure you visit the ATOs and try and get as much information from students there as they don’t put on there brochures about the delays in training etc. I spent two years before making the commitment post PPL and I still ended up with unexpected surprises with the route I have chosen.
Thanks Sam, how much extra did the dual licence cost you? I think that anything up to 10 grand probably puts it into the 'worth it' category as you can then go on to fly foreign registered aircraft which is probably very important considering even UK based airlines e.g. Ryanair have entire fleets of EI- registered aircraft (same with EZY, Wizz etc.). Am I correct in saying that you 'pay as you go' for hour building? All in all how much would you estimate your training to have cost you?
With regards to ATOs etc. I've managed to convince my mum to drag me along to the pilot careers live open day I mentioned earlier which is in October and there are a large number of ATOs exhibiting there (including LE) and various seminars etc. Hopefully I will get some answers to some of my questions.
Do you regret doing your PPL in the UK vs US? Do you think it worked out cheaper than the alternative would have been?
Thanks in advance