PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Wigston survive the onslaught?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2023, 09:54
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by pr00ne
No, that was 45 years ago when we had a trivial small minded Air Force that had a massive retention problem, can't think why!
pr00ne,

All us young airmen at Boulmer, if we had to head of to the Station HQ, dreaded the fact we had to walk (march) past the Main Guard Room, just in case Smiffy was there looking out the window, every so often he'd claim a scalp (so to speak) "AIRMAN, WHEN DID YE LAST GET YIR HAIR CUT?!" He delighted in telling the six of us who arrived on that August evening, what he expected of us, in terms of uniform maintenance , hair lengh regulations and all the rest of it, "we don't treat ye like wee boys and girils here, if yer uniforms no pressed or yer over due a hair cut, I'll charge ye! And don't go complaining tae yer WO Ops or Flight Commander, 'cause I'll just tell the CO aa'm wastin ma time here and yer Flight Commander 'll get leant on so it'll all bounce back to you, so its all sown up!"

There I can remember the welcome to RAF Boulmer line with unerring clarity. Sgt Smith did have his moment of fame, he was posted to Machrahanish, where they made the film "White Nights". He got a cameo role as a Soviet Officer, you see him when the plane lands in Soviet territory with the defector on board. Sgt Smith is stood next to someone who orders him to meet the some official stepping off the flight, he marches over as only Sgt Smith would/could snaps to attention and stands ramrod straight and salutes. I've watched that scene and recognise the same manner from the past.

FB