PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin pilots
Thread: Virgin pilots
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2023, 02:37
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
Not sure what a "proper pilots union" is. What the pilot's unions need is a properly funded negotiator who can represent all the unions in any negotiations. One who is not subject to the pressures of being a pilot and who can negotiate with the client's objectives in mind.
ALPA in the US is a proper pilots union, it's independent, it has industry weight that can not only negotiate terms but fight regulatory issues, like FRMS and safety concerns, as well as promote scope clauses and whatever else. Here each airline has its own union, which means the union is linked to that airline in more ways than one for both its own survival and the representation of the pilots. Which in my eyes is a conflict of interest.. The union needs to be independent of the operator, so as not to be influenced by the operator, and have representatives from the operators pilot body to ensure operator specific issues are dealt with.

The real driver of the pay rises in the US is the rules fought for by ALPA, specifically the 1500 hour ruling. I'd like to see a union here have the clout to change regulations for the better, so far we have been stepped on by everything from security to medical issues and I don't see much from a union front to really counter any of it.
The following users liked this post: