PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific imploding.
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2023, 17:23
Gnadenburg

Received 93 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Ting Wong

Which airlines would that be please? We all know that if you pay low enough you get a shortage of applicants, but can you name an airline in Asia or Europe (UK if you have the passport only) that offers decent salary, working hours and a reasonable promotion path? I would agree there are options if you are 30ish F/O and flexible. But the typical expat pilot in Cathay is older, has a command or is very close to it. A cadet or junior officer job at a "legacy carrier" is out of the question for most. . Not trying to be contrarian, this is my personal first hand experience of the current market. Lifestyle choices are all good and well, the offers I have seen more resemble financial suicide or volunteer admission into labor camps.
I think you’ve mixed me up with someone else. I was disputing your claim that there’s only a pilot shortage at US and Australian regionals. I had a comprehensive recruiting brief at Delta and they have an interesting consequence of the structural pilot shortage. They are all hands on deck this summer where their training pilots are being used to fly the line to meet a summer schedule. This is curtailing their expansion.

If you made a lot of money pre-COVID as a CX pilot you have a lot of career choices. This seems to be a pattern in many of the pilots I know or have met who left Cathay. If you didn’t I guess you count pennies when comparing airline packages.