PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AsA TIBA/TRA/OPR Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 12th Jul 2023, 11:12
we_were_inverted

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts
With all this talk about sick leave let me relate my (alleged) personal experience working for an (alleged government monopoly) transportation service provider.

100+ controllers get paid big $ to retire early when we are already at just below critical staffing levels . This creates huge staffing issues off the bat. To cover the shortfall, against ATC wishes the employer change rosters to add an extra day of work per fortnight.

Work life balance aside, this changed roster reduces the amount of controllers per shift. Less people doing more work. This means operating sectors combined which dramatically increase workload. I finish each shift absolutely fried. But before I finish I am asked to extend because the next shift is short because of the early retirements. Sure, I’ll extend. Help the crew out. Instantly regret the decision as I’m getting slammed by traffic operating combined sectors that were previously split. Have a scare and see a conflict later than I would like. Get home absolutely wrecked.

Trying to unwind and I get a phone call. See it is work so I ignore it. Get a text asking if i can start early tomorrow. No, sorry. Im tired. Ok well can I start later and finish later? Fine. It is my last day of the cycle and they’re short staffed and it’s going to be a busy evening so whatever. Help the team out.

Sectors combined when they previously were not. Get slammed. Tricky winds meant that base is very hard to judge. Every sequence is tight. Few hours to go. Separating and sequencing traffic until the last minute of my shift which finishes at 2300. Despite getting home close to midnight I look forward to my by this point day and a half off.

Wake up to 2 missed calls and a text. Can I give them anything? No, sorry. I’m tired. Same again next morning. They’re desperate. Anything I can do will keep airspace open. Fine I will give you 4 hours. Get in and asked to extend? No Im back at 0530 tomorrow. Get slammed for 4 hours working sectors combined that we previously had staff to work split. Regret coming in. Read an email on my break from an executive essentially saying we are slacking and it is the fault of the operational ATC that the staffing and airspace crisis is the way it is.

Have a splitting headache by the time I get home and the hubby is mad. I get an early night but cannot sleep because the new roster is the most fatiguing I have ever worked.

Back at 0530, same old story. Combined sectors. Slammed. Can I extend? My headache is worse. Stare at the ceiling again. Am I fit to work tomorrow? Not sure. Will I extend anymore? No. Am I available on my lovely 2 days off that is really about a day an a half? No. Not anymore.

That, In my opinion, is why there are so many TIBAs and TRAs

Last edited by we_were_inverted; 12th Jul 2023 at 11:30.
The following 12 users liked this post by we_were_inverted: