PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Australian Airline Pilot: Respected Profession or 'Noose around your Neck'
Old 10th Jul 2023, 12:15
Traffic_Is_Er_Was

Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Received 186 Likes on 77 Posts
My shift-working colleagues who are on an EBA, thus an hourly rate, get paid shift penalties for working a public holiday, plus still get the 5 weeks annual leave (to make up for not getting other days off in lieu). When I moved onto a salary it now, I am reliably informed by HR, includes a calculation to make up for shift penalties, however they may occur. At the end of the day, it's a contract, and I signed it. We discussed, they offered, I accepted. It's gone backward a little because of the last couple of years, but I was damn lucky to have a job right through COVID, especially with what it did to our industry. 100% of something is a hell of a lot better than 100% of nothing. I'm a long way behind CPI now but I can still pay the mortgage.
Working Public holidays under the same hourly rate with no extra pay
I guess it depends on what your hourly rate is calculated on in the first place, doesn't it? It would appear from Chronic Snoozers extract of the award that your rate includes a compensation for working public holidays, which, incidentally, you probably receive even if you don't work them. So, you're getting paid for them, whether you work them or not, and getting 6 weeks annual leave, when the most others can hope for is 5 weeks. Not a bad gig.

Last edited by Traffic_Is_Er_Was; 10th Jul 2023 at 12:46.