PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 7th Jul 2023, 09:59
hobbit1983
Professional Student

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
You are probably correct about my 50k estimate but I will research where I can and try to pick the most lucrative jobs I can find (while also being decent at them+enjoying them a little). I also know that it's not as simple as 'finding' someone to bond you but I'll see what I can do about it when it comes to it. I'll listen to you and not tell any experienced pilot what I've just told you - especially not at an interview
Glad to hear it. Lucrative often will go hand in hand with being decent at them. Plus enjoying them is the Holy Grail.

A good proportion of people interviewing for turboprop commuter jobs are of course trying to use it as a stepping stone to that shiny Boeing or Airbus. The successful ones don't point it out, although I'm sure the interview panel know. Others find those kind of jobs perfect.

An aside; One of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten from an experienced pilot is to not chase the flashy, glamourous airline job to the exception of all else. People often sacrifice their social life/life outside of their job, their happiness, and relationships in order to get this kinda job. They often end up being miserable in the long term; there's a surprisingly high rate of AIDS in pilots I've known (not that - Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome). Hard to have a meaningful relationship with your spouse when you're never home in the evenings or weekends, or the roster makes you exhausted when you are. You can never get time back.

Go for the best combination of lifestyle, happiness, pay, and location you can. Even if that means being paid £60k instead of £100k - even if this means flying those lower forms of life (#moresarcasm) such as small turboprops or bizjets. Seriously - it's never all about the airlines.

I do try to be optimistic - I find that in most cases it has more benefits than drawbacks (although this discussion may be one of the exceptions!)
I don't know what I can do about being in the right place at the right time - but as mentioned above (perhaps even by yourself) that many flightschools have links/recruitment opportunities with many reputable airlines. I can't be more lucky but I can very well increase my chances if I play my cards right.
I think you will need to be optimistic to see your plan through.

They do, but IIRC the flight schools with those links are the more expensive integrated ones.

By the time I finish flight training (at 25-30 years of age) I am sure the aviation industry will have changed twice over. I can't predict the future though, so I suppose I will just have to wait and see where it goes.
In the next 7-12 years it probably won't have changed all that much. I'm sure we won't have any more major disruptors such as Covid (2020), the credit crunch (2008), 9-11 (2001), the first Gulf War (1991), etc etc in the next decade...why would we?

If you believe some of the more gloomy/forward looking predictions, you will probably see single-crew airliners, and then pilotless airliners, within the next 20-30 years. Have a back up plan so you can pay your mortgage.

I had a browse over the CAA Class 1 medical requirements; the only thing I could see possibly maybe being an issue is:

I have a dysfunction of the Eustachian tubes (which I would argue is a benefit rather than a dysfunction) which means I can open and close them at will by flexing a muscle. I don't think it should cause any problems though, I imagine it would actually be quite useful for taking care of pressure changes hands-free.
You need to find out -, and get in writing from an AME/the CAA - ASAP if this will allow you to get a Class 1 medical.

Anyways, thank you again for the wisdom and advice, if all goes well I'll see you from the RHS of a jet in about a decade's time

ETA: I think there will be enough time in uni for going out and getting wasted before I start working any full time jobs
No worries. The wisdom and advice is free, and therefore worth what you are paying for it. Act accordingly!

Hope to see you there.