PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 4th Jul 2023, 11:19
alexeyAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbit1983
50k p.a. (at 21 years?) is £ 34,465.92 after tax, if you're resident in Scotland and with a Scottish student loan. https://www.thesalarycalculator.co.uk/salary.php

Working two jobs I do not think will bring you £50k.

ATPLs will certainly cost more than £25k in loans; you're probably looking at £100-80k.

I suggest revising your plan: I agree with most of it. But I don't think the maths adds up.

Airlines will 100% not be looking for real-world experience outside of flying (that you get from uni and a good job). They are looking for:

-has a CPL
-has the rating they need already, or is willing to self-sponsor a TR
-has hours (more = better) or jet experience
-(for some operators) been to the 'right' integrated school
-can pass an interview, group exercises, etc
-is likely to work well with other pilots

If I were you, I would follow the same broad plan, but find a way to get other people to pay for your training (not your parents) or reduce your costs considerably. The only immediate way to do that (that I can think of) is to get a PPL following the plan you've laid out. Then build hours as an FI or paradropping (glider tugging?) and then save up for the next bit (CPL, IR) etc.

The only problem with that is, it will take awhile, you will really have to work to find those opportunities, and you seem fixed on flying airlines, which may mean you won't want/be able to sustain the motivation to go fly light aircraft for years first.
Thanks for your replies, it's been truly helpful.
Wow, £15k of £50k is taxed? Maybe I should start being more cynical, that's criminal in my eyes
Are you sure about ATPL being 100k in loans? Bristol groundschool has ATPL(a) courses at £3k and while I appreciate that BGS is only the theory part I've mostly heard £50-60k quoted as a price for the modular.
Flying a/c to build hours through glider tugging (bit of a rare breed here in the UK, we mostly use winch launch) and skydiving etc. is definitely a good suggestion.
I know I seem right now very over optimistic about working for the airlines and completely ignorant of the work that I'll have to put in before getting there, but I truly believe I have the motivation to do as you suggest and fly GA for a few years. Any aviation is still aviation in my eyes, that will never change
I've also been looking into opportunities at the RAF. I spoke to a recruiter about getting in as a pilot and after he'd finished chuckling he told me that out of 35k applicants last year only 35 were selected to go through pilot training, keep in mind only a small portion will be flying fastjets. It's really really competitive. I'm in the air cadets though, we go to the glider field every few months and do 2 launches at a time. Lots of fun and definitely a good starting point to progress into aviation further.
Thanks for the help hobbit, you've been very kind. Take care.