PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Job prospects after modular ATPL (UK)? Loan or secure a job?
Old 3rd Jul 2023, 06:45
Beaker_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alexeyAP
Beaker,
Do you think something like airport ops or aerospace engineering is as unstable as the piloting market?
I forgot to mention when I suggested a trade is when considering a backup career, it's good to have something you can stop and start without it looking too bad on your CV. If you're a self-employed tradesman, you don't need to really worry about what a recruiter is going to think. I think you'd have no shortage of work if you were in a "in demand" trade, especially if you have mates in the business as they'll always be looking for good subcontractors.

IT can be a good field where plenty of companies will recruit people on 6-12 month contracts just to get a job done so perhaps worth considering. It's a very varied field though, so certainly worth researching to see which skill sets favour the contractors lifestyle.

Of course all of the above mentioned positions would probably need you to brush up on latest developments, regulations etc. before you pick up your tools after you've had a long break.

Definitely double-check for yourself against what I've suggested. These things are mostly based on what I've seen and there may be things I'm wrong about it haven't considered, but in my opinion could be a sensible route to go down.

Also, just to echo what has already been said. Don't take out loans for this. Do your PPL and some hour building alongside full-time work. It's an enjoyable hobby in itself and no need to rush it. When you come to the ground school and professional part of your training, you can decide whether to do this alongside your job (possibly part-time) or take some time off and do those bits as quickly as possible. If you live frugally and earn yourself a reasonable amount, it should certainly be possible. If you work in a trade self-employed, you might be able to consider making your own hours up. i.e. Work more in the winter to maximize your earnings and take more days off in the summer to get more flying done!

You sound like a sensible guy who's willing to listen to advice so I wish you the best of luck.