PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AsA TIBA/TRA/OPR Restrictions
View Single Post
Old 1st Jul 2023, 10:50
Duck Pilot

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts
[QUOTE=10JQKA;11459857]
Originally Posted by Duck Pilot
Air Traffic Controllers are like Pilots and I'm sure we think the same way with regards to professionalism, training, experience and safety.

Bottom line is that there is a chronic shortage of experienced Air Traffic Controllers and Experienced Pilots within the Australian Aviation Arena at the moment/QUOTE]

I think a significant difference is airlines have staff rostered on call avbl to cover unplanned leave, so rarely would a flight get cancelled due to that reason. In ATC each group let's say has 20 staff,.10 are on duty already, and of the 10 that are off say there are 2 on REC, 1 on LSL, 1 on paternity, 1 away on a project, 1 on long term sick leave, then a couple are away for the days off and another couple not interested in extra OT $$s, and then that's it the cupboard is bare and airspace is turned off. So of those 10 that were off 3 years ago 2 got early retirement so now there are only 8 left anyway. Unless there is a system where u can have forced OT or have staff on call nothing can ever change. But to have staff on call requires a ton more staff and a ton more salaries.
The airline I currently work for regularly cancel flights because they haven’t got crew. They parked the whole Daah 8 fleet up one occasion very recently as they didn’t have crew.